Saturday 15 October 2016

Tie My Shoelaces

Let me tell a story before I confess an inability to perform a basic everyday task. A clue would be in the  title of the post.

I worked as a part-time security guard when I left the military and returned to school. The security company asked the supervisor to administer a test of basic security guard knowledge. A week before the test he gave a classroom session on what we would be tested on. There were 3 of us in the class. The youngest guy in our class was incredulous that it took me so long to pick up basic terms and tasks. A week later I scored close to 100% on the test and the other two barely passed. The guy couldn't believe I scored so well. I did not consider him to be very bright, even during training.

There was a lesson in that story that people learn at a different pace and some people retain the information better than others. I have never been the guy that asks a million questions while in a classroom. I take the info away and learn on my own. It is why I prefer online, or video training.

When you are a small child you learn to tie your shoelaces. It is as basic a lesson as walking and talking. I have to confess an embarrassing fact that I am having trouble with this basic task. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing dress, casual, sneakers or golf shoes, I can't keep my laces tied. It takes me 35 minutes to walk to work and I have to re-tie my shoes at least 3 times.  I have some concept of initially tying a shoelace, but not keeping them tied. I have even tried to double tie the laces to limited effect. I think I'm doing it wrong.

I will be searching YouTube videos to see if I can learn a proper method.
I suspect that as a youngster I learnt the task at the same pace as everyone else did and took for granted that I mastered the method. I did not and decades later I need to relearn to tie my laces.

In the Navy and more recently while taking lessons to operate my powerboat, I have never been able to figure out basic nautical knots. I have 3 iPad apps on knot making and I can't figure them out. I just can't follow the method. Even if you spent an hour with me to teach me a basic nautical knot, I would forget it the next day. There must be a connection here.

No comments:

Post a Comment