Thursday 7 February 2013

Harper Considers me to be a Canadian with an Asterix*

I wasn't born in Canada. I immigrated to Canada with my parents and brothers as a 3-year-old. My first memory was flying on the plane from England to Toronto. At the age of 10, I became a Canadian citizen. When I was 17-years-old my parents signed a consent form to allow me to join the Canadian military. I still remember the day my Dad took time off work, to drive me to the James Street Train Terminal, in Hamilton, where I took a train to Trenton Air Base and then a plane to Nova Scotia to start basic training.

I spent 4-years in the Canadian Navy, before a obtaining an Honourable discharge.

I read today that PM Stephen Harper considers me to be a lessor citizen, than natural born Canadians like him and his Immigration Minister, Jason Kenny. For cheap partisan reasons they denigrate my citizenship, like the men without honour that they represent.

Harper and Kenny want to pass a law that will allow the government to take away the citizenship's of naturalised citizens that commit a crime as a terrorist. Where does it stop, do they strip citizenship because they commit any crime that upsets the sensibilities of the government of the day? Maybe my criticism of their beloved Head of State, the Queen, is enough to strip my citizenship?

Why do men, like Harper and Kenney, that seemingly lack an ounce of integrity, believe that they are more Canadian than I am?

Harper and Kenney are Canadians because of an accident of birth, while our parents chose this country. They raised children here and paid taxes. But men without decency and honour like Harper and Kenney, cheapen their contributions to this country and seek to weaken their rights as Canadians. Harper believes in two classes of citizens.

Harper does not have the moral authority, or mandate to carry out this legislation. He lacks the right and simple moral character to take away our rights as Canadian citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment