Sunday 3 February 2013

Walking to Fitness

I use an iPod pedometer to track how many steps I take. I just put it in my pocket and forget about it. It is very accurate. This past week I broke my weekly personal record of 101,000 steps and even surpassed Mariana's 121,000 record, with a 125,000 as noted below. This is equal to about 62.5 miles. This was out of competition so I don't consider it an official record, but a personal best. I also set a monthly best of 440,000 steps, or 220 miles.

Included in those steps, were many miles of running on the treadmill. My goal was to walk at least 500,000 steps during my challenge. I will surpass that total tomorrow with 10-days to spare. It was a modest goal of 11,000 steps a day. The vast majority of steps were completed outdoors, during times of mild, to viciously cold temperatures, snow storms, torrential rain and icy sidewalks. It wasn't always pleasant, but it was worth the effort.

I will continue to increase my walking and running well after the 45-day challenge is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment